Why study in Canada?
Studying overseas is of the many big steps in a student’s life which can massively impact the future. It either lands you in a position of responsibility with the highest educational qualifications or it might leave you in a state of bankruptcy wherein you’ve had lost both money and time significantly.
A brief introduction to the Canadian Education System
Viewed among the best education systems in the world Canadian education system broadly comprise of four levels:
Post –Secondary (College & University)
Most aspiring students need to understand that they fall under the fourth category when it comes to pursuing higher education in Canada. The two official languages of Canada are English and French. International students have the liberty to choose between either of them.
KEY POINT: As per the QS world rankings 2020, which is a widely accepted ranking for colleges and universities the 29th position was occupied by Toronto University, Canada which is one of the best-regarded universities of Canada. Most of the colleges above Toronto University were from the United States and the UK. This shall serve as a good example of the quality of education provided in Canada. There are several other Canadian universities as well in the top 100 list. Example: McGill University in Montreal, 35th position, and so on. The complete list of universities can be found here Top Universities
Eligibility Criteria to Study in Canada:
There are certain norms prescribed by the Canadian government for foreign nationals to study in Canada. All information provided below is from the official Government of Canada website and can be verified (if need be) from Canada ca
- All foreign nationals need to have a study permit which is a document to allow a foreign national to study in a designated learning institute (DLI) in Canada. A study permit is not a VISA.
- For students from India, Morocco, China, Pakistan, Philippines, Senegal, or Vietnam student direct stream can be used to obtain study permit faster.
- The candidates need proof of identity, proof of financial support, proof of acceptance to obtain a study permit.
- The candidates need to show documents about their bank statements which shall prove the candidate’s ability on three fronts economically to study in Canada they are 1.) enough money to pay for tuition fees, 2.) sufficient funds to stay in Canada during the study and 3.) sufficient funds for return transportation for the candidate and any family member who visits Canada during the study.
- The candidate needs to obtain a police certificate to prove he/she has no criminal background in the past.
Medical examination certificate to show that candidate is in no severe condition and can continue his/her education without any problem.
- Candidates need to prove to an officer that he/she will return to their respective country once their education in Canada is completed (This is because as per immigration rules of Canada candidates who are on a study permit can only stay in Canada until the time their education is not completed).
- Due to COVID-19 if any candidate wants to study in Canada for 6 months or less you need to obtain a study permit (which was previously not required) and DLI with a COVID-19 readiness plan from your respective province or territory.
- Depending on the college the candidate is applying the English proficiency score and academic score required might vary. The exam whose score is valid might also vary from college to college. For example, some colleges accept TOEFL and IELTS scores only as English proficiency scores whereas some colleges also accept Cambridge English test scores, Pearson Test of English scores, and so on.
- A letter of explanation is also required to explain why the candidate wants to pursue his education in Canada.
- If the candidate is minor then he/she shall also require a custodian declaration as a mandatory document.
Salient features and student Life while studying in Canada:
The most exciting thing about studying abroad is the larger-than-life lifestyle that students get to experience. Canada is the second-largest country by landmass after Russia and has a record number of students who flock in from all over the globe.
Canadian culture is influenced by British and French cultures but due to its historical record of openness to the world, it has been influenced by cultures all across the globe. Especially for Indian students, the conditions are even more favorable as Canada has a huge number of Indian’s who stay there. Some street names are also written in the Punjabi language which is an Indian origin language that significantly highlights the sort of impact Indians have in Canada.
Canada is made up of 10 provinces and 3 territories. With over 642,000 international students Canada presently ranks third in terms of foreign student attraction. Packed with some of the world’s most attractive destinations such as the world-famous Niagara Falls in Ontario, the Canadian Rockies which are one of the most scenic mountain ranges in the world and is also home to the Jasper National Park.
Most colleges are found in Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal which are favorite destinations for travels because they give the quintessential vibe of nature and big city life jelled up together. Of course, Quebec city wherein Old Quebec is located in one of the UNESCO World Heritage sites and has the essence of Paris. What’s better for a student to learn and have such amazing cityscape at their disposal every day when you wake up.
WORK PERMITS: International students who want to work can do that in Canada given that they adhere to the rules of a study permit. If the company is legitimately university-affiliated then students who have a study permit can work in that company on campus. Off-campus work is also allowed but it is restricted to 20 hours per week only if you have a work permit or study permit. If any student has a post-graduate work permit then he/she is allowed to work for 3 years after completing post-graduation studies.
Pros and Cons of studying in Canada:
- The first important thing about studying in Canada is it is one of the most affordable places in terms of tuition fees as compared to other places such as the USA, UK, and Australia.
- Canada has the track record of being one of the safest destinations in the entire world with the lowest crime rates, break-in incidents, etc. Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU) has named ‘Toronto” as one the safest destinations for immigrants and residents as well.
- The economy of the country is stable which is always a plus for residents and students of the country.
- If your college is located in Quebec City which is a part of Canada then you need to know the French language which might serve as a disadvantage. Although it might not be compulsory in some cases for international students owing to the culture as a whole it shall be very difficult. In addition to that, you shall also need certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by the Gouvernement du Québec (Government of Quebec).
- The cost of living in Canada, in general, is quite high which shall hurt your pocket if you stay in major cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, and Halifax, etc.
- The harsh weather of Canada can be quite a pain sometimes. Winter temperatures can dip well below zero points so students need to prepared for everything.